The Historical Society office hours
- Monday and Thursday from 10 am – 4 pm.
The Dyersville Area Historical Society operates a large genealogical library. Anyone interested in genealogical research or family historians looking for information about ancestors who may have lived in this area will find a wealth of resources.
Volunteers are available to help researchers locate information on various topics, make copies and share ideas.
Some of the resourcesinclude:
- Obituary collectionOur collection includes approximately 26,000 obituaries
taken from our local newspaper, the Dyersville Commercial from the 1890′s to the present day.
- Cemetery informationWe have cemetery information and maps from the St. Francis Xavier Cemetery and the Mt. Hope Cemetery in Dyersville as well as the cemeteries in New Vienna, Luxemburg, Holy Cross, Bankston and Worthington.
- Dubuque County Atlases, dated 1874, 1892 and 1906
- Wedding announcements, family reunions, sports articles, etc.We have the actual Dyersville Commercial newspapers dating from 1901 to last weeks issue.
With a date, we can find almost any article without too much difficulty
- Business informationWe are working on a business index, with names, dates and locations of businesses that existed throughout Dyersville’s history.
- Church and School informationWe have a large amount of information about the St. Francis Xavier Basilica. We also have photos and class rosters of the Dyersville schools.
- Many family histories from this area
- Family Tree Maker computer program, containing over 100,000 names